Scientific Publications and Technical Reports
Click on the publication number to download the report in PDF format. Not all reports are available yet.
2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 1988 - 2005
- 83 Young, L.C., VanderWerf, E.A., Mitchell, C., Yuen, E., Miller, C.J., Smith, D.G. and C. Swenson. 2012. The use of predator proof fencing as a management tool in the Hawaiian Islands: A case study of Ka`ena Point Natural Area Reserve. Technical Report #180 The Hawai`i-Pacific Islands Cooperative Ecosystem Studies Unit & Pacific Cooperative Studies Unit, University of Hawai`i, Honolulu, Hawai`i. 82 pp.
- 82 VanderWerf, E. A. 2012. Evolution of nesting height in an endangered Hawaiian forest bird in response to a non-native predator. Conservation Biology 26:905-911.
- 81 VanderWerf, E. A. 2012. Meet the ‘Elepaios: Hawaii’s “new” endemic flycatchers. Birding 44:34-45.
- 80 Lohr, M., Young, L.C., VanderWerf, E.a., Miller, C.J. and H. Leong. 2012. Dietary analysis of free-ranging cats at Ka`ena Point, Hawai`i. `Elepaio. In press.
- 79 Reed, J. M., D. W. Desrochers, E. A. VanderWerf, and J. M. Scott. 2012. Long-term persistence of Hawaii’s endangered avifauna through conservation-reliant management. Bioscience 62:881-892.
- 78 Vetter, J. P, Swinnerton, K. J., VanderWerf, E. A., Garvin, J. C., Mounce, H. L., Breniser, H. E., Leonard, D. L., and Fretz, J. S. 2012. Survival Estimates for Two Hawaiian Honeycreepers. Pacific Science 66:299-309.
- 77 VanderWerf, E. A., S. M. Mosher, M. D. Burt, P. E. Taylor, and D. Sailer. In press. Variable efficacy of rat control in conserving O'ahu 'Elepaio populations. Proceedings of the Island Invasives: Eradication and Management Conference. http://www.issg.org/pdf/publications/Island_invasives/IslandInvasives.pdf
- 76 VanderWerf, E. A. 2011. Ecogeographic patterns of morphological variation in elepaios (Chasiempis spp.): Bergmann's, Allen's, and Gloger's rules in a microcosm. Ornithological Monographs 73:1-34.
- 75 VanderWerf, E. A., and L. C. Young. 2011. Estimating survival and life stage transitions in the Laysan Albatross using multi-state mark-recapture models. Auk 128:726-736.
- 74 Russell, T., L.C. Young, and T. Work. Infanticide of Wedge-tailed Shearwater
Puffinus Pacificus chick at Marine Corps Base Hawaii. 2011. Marine Ornithology. 39:131-132.
- 73 VanderWerf, E. A., S. M. Mosher, M. D. Burt, and P. E. Taylor. 2011. Current distribution and abundance of O'ahu 'Elepaio (Aves: Monarchidae) in the Wai'anae Mountains. Pacific Science 65:311-319.
- 72 VanderWerf, E. A., L. C. Young, and C. Blackburn. 2011. First record of Tristram's Storm-petrel in the Southeastern Hawaiian Islands. 'Elepaio 71 (7):41-43.
- 71 Pitt, W. L., L. C. Driscoll, and E. A. VanderWerf. 2011. A rat-resistant artificial nest box for cavity-nesting birds. Human-Wildlife Interactions 5:100-105.
- 70 Russell, T. A., and E. A. VanderWerf. 2010. Red-footed Booby Sula sula breeding success at Ulupa'u Crater, Marine Corps Base Hawaii. Marine Ornithology 38:129-131.
- 69 Young, LC. 2010 Inferring colonization history and dispersal patterns of a long lived seabird by combining genetic and empirical data. Journal of Zoology. 281(2010): 232-240
- 68 VanderWerf, E.A. and Young, L.C. 2010. Surveys of endangered Procellariformes and recommendations to minimize potential take, effects of radar transmission on Hawaiian Hoary Bat Activity, and invasive weed control at Koke`e Air Force Station and Microwave Antenna Site. Internal US Air Force Report.
- 67 Young, LC, Vanderlip, C, Duffy, DC, Afanasyev, V, Shaffer, SA. 2009. Bringing home the trash: do colony-based differences in foraging lead to increased plastic ingestion in Laysan Albatrosses? PLoS ONE 4(10): e7623 http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0007623
- 66 Young, LC. 2009. Foraging ecology, population genetics and risk of fisheries bytcatch for the Laysan Albatross (Phoebastria immutabilis). Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- 65 VanderWerf, EA, Young, LC, Yeung, NW, Carlon, DB. 2009. Stepping stone speciation in Hawaii’s flycatchers: Molecular divergence supports new island endemics within the elepaio. Conservation Genetics. DOI 10.1007/s10592-009-9958-1
- 64 Young, L.C., VanderWerf, E.A., Smith, D.G., Polhemus, J., Swenson, N., Swenson, C., Liesemeyer, B.R., Gagne, B., and Conant, S. Demography and Natural History of Laysan Albatross on Oahu, Hawaii. 2009. Wilson Journal of Ornithology. 121:722-729.
- 63 VanderWerf EA. 2009. Importance of nest predation by alien rodents and avian poxvirus in conservation of Oahu elepaio. Journal of Wildlife Management 73:737-746.
62 VanderWerf, E., L. Young, and B. Keitt. 2008. Predator-proof Fencing for Invasive
Species Control in Hawaii: A Comprehensive Prioritization and Implementation Plan to
protect native species. Unpublished report prepared for the Department of Defence
Legacy Resource Management Program, project number W912DY-07-2-0003.
61 Young, L.C. 2008. Sex determination of Laysan (Phoebastria immutabilis) and Blackfooted
Albatrosses (P. nigripes). Unpublished report prepared for the U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service. (PDF currently not available)
60 VanderWerf, E. A. 2008. Sources of variation in survival, recruitment, and natal
dispersal of the Hawai’i ‘Elepaio. Condor 110:241-250.
59 VanderWerf, E. A. 2008. Globally Important Bird Areas in the Hawaiian Islands: Final Report. Unpublished report prepared for the National Audubon Society Important Bird
58 Young, L.C., B.J. Zaun and E.A. VanderWerf. 2008. Successful same-sex pairing in
Laysan Albatross. Biology Letters. 4:323-325
57 VanderWerf, E. A., B. L. Becker, J. Eijzenga, and H. Eijzenga. 2008. Nazca Booby Sula
Granti and Brewster’s Brown Booby Sula Leucogaster Brewsteri in the Hawaiian Islands
and Johnston and Palmyra Atolls. Marine Ornithology 36: 67–71
56 Young, L. C., and E. A. VanderWerf. 2008. Prevalence of avian pox virus and effect on
the fledging success of Laysan Albatross. Journal of Field Ornithology 79:93–98.
55 VanderWerf, E. A., and P. K. Roberts. 2008. Foraging and Nesting of the `Akikiki or
Kaua`i Creeper (Oreomystis bairdi). Wilson Journal of Ornithology 120:195-199.
54 VanderWerf, E. A., and L. C. Young. 2007. The Red-billed Tropicbird in Hawaii, with
notes on interspecific behavior of tropicbirds. Marine Ornithology 35:81-84.
53 VanderWerf, E. A., and American Bird Conservancy. 2007. Petition to list the Akikiki or
Kauai Creeper (Oreomystis bairdi) and the Akekee or Kauai Akepa (Loxops
caeruleirostris) as endangered or threatened under the U.S. Endangered Species Act.
Submitted to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, October 2007. 18 pp.
52 VanderWerf, E. A. 2007. Biogeography of `Elepaio: evidence from inter-island song
playbacks. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 119:325-333.
51 Ray Pierce, R., R. Anderson, E. VanderWerf, and L. Young. 2007. Surveys and capacity
building in Kiritimati (Christmas Island, Kiribati), June 2007, to assist in restoration of
populations of Bokikokiko and seabirds. A Report for the Wildlife Conservation Unit,
Kiritimati, Republic of Kiritibati, funded by Invasive Species Specialist Group (IUCN,
Auckland, New Zealand), Secretariat for the Pacific Regional Environment Programme
(Apia, Samoa), and the British High Commission (Suva, Fiji). 83 pp.
50 VanderWerf, E. A. 2007. Oahu Elepaio surveys and monitoring at Palehua, final report.
Unpublished report prepared for The Nature Conservancy of Hawaii. Pacific Rim
Conservation, June 2007. (PDF currently not available)
49 VanderWerf, E. A. 2007. 2005 bird surveys in the Republic of Palau, final Report.
Unpublished report prepared for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Palau
Conservation Society. Pacific Rim Conservation, Honolulu, Hawaii, May 2007. 88 pp. (PDF currently not available)
48 VanderWerf, E. A., F. A. Amidon, and A. P. Marshall. 2007. Tinian Monarch postdelisting
monitoring progress report and trip report for 7-17 March 2007. Pacific Rim
Conservation and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Honolulu, Hawaii, March 2007.
47 VanderWerf, E.A., K.R. Wood, C.S. Swenson, M. LeGrande, H. Eijzenga, and R.L. Walker.
2007. Avifauna and Conservation Assessment of Lehua Islet, Hawai`i. Pacific Science
46 VanderWerf, E. A. 2006. Census of Oahu Elepaio in Honouliuli Preserve – Final Report.
Unpublished report prepared for The Nature Conservancy of Hawaii, Oahu Program.
45 VanderWerf, E.A., R.J. Pierce, V.A. Gill, G. Wragg, P. Raust & T.L. Tibbitts. 2006. Pelagic
seabird surveys in the Tuamotu and Gambier archipelagos, French Polynesia. Marine
44 VanderWerf, E.A., G.J. Wiles, A.P. Marshall, and M. Knecht. 2006. Observations of
migrants and other birds in Palau, April-May 2005, including the first Micronesian record
of a Richard’s Pipit. Micronesica 39:11-29.
43 VanderWerf, E.A. 2006. Observations on the birds of Kwajalein Atoll, including six new
records for the Marshall Islands. Micronesica 38:221-237.
42 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2006. Final Revised Recovery Plan for Hawaiian Forest
Birds. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Portland, Oregon. 508 pp. (PDF currently not available)
41 VanderWerf, E.A., M.D. Burt, J.L. Rohrer, and S.M. Mosher. 2006. Distribution and
prevalence of mosquito-borne diseases in O`ahu `Elepaio. Condor 108:770-777.
40 Smith, D.G., E.K. Shiinoki, and E.A. VanderWerf. 2006. Recovery of native species
following rat eradication on Mokoli`i Island, O`ahu, Hawai`i. Pacific Science 60:299-
39 VanderWerf, E.A, J.J. Groombridge, J.S. Fretz, and K.J. Swinnerton. 2006. Decision
analysis to guide recovery of the Po’ouli, a critically endangered Hawaiian honeycreeper.
Biological Conservation 129:383-392.
- 38 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2005. Draft Revised Recovery Plan for Hawaiian Water
Birds. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Region 1, Portland, OR.
37 VanderWerf, E.A. 2005. Elepaio “anting” with a garlic snail and a Schinus fruit. Journal of
Field Ornithology 76:134-137.
36 VanderWerf, E.A. 2005. Observations on the abundance and behavior of seabirds south
of O`ahu during the F/V Ehime Maru relocation and fuel spill. `Elepaio 65:25-29.
35 VanderWerf, E.A., K.A. Swindle, and L.C. Young. 2005. Pox virus in Laysan Albatross at
Ka`ena Point, O`ahu: How can we help? `Elepaio 65:1-7.
34 Plentovich, S., J. M. Morton, J. Bart, R. J. Camp, M. Lusk, N. Johnson, and E.
Vanderwerf. 2005. Population trends of Mariana Crow Corvus kubaryi on Rota,
Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Bird Conservation International
15:211-224. (PDF currently not available)
33 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2005. Final post-delisting Monitoring Plan for the Tinian
monarch. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Pacific Islands Fish and Wildlife Office, Honolulu,
32 VanderWerf, E. A. 2004. Demography of Hawai`i `Elepaio: variation with habitat
disturbance and population density. Ecology 85:770-783.
31 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2004. Final Rule to Remove the Tinian Monarch from the
Federal List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife. Federal Register 69:56367-56373.
30 Groombridge, J. J., J. G. Massey, J. C. Bruch, T. Malcolm, C. N. Brosius, M. M. Okada, B.
Sparklin, J. S. Fretz, and E. A. VanderWerf. 2004. An attempt to recover the Po’ouli by
translocation and an appraisal of recovery strategy for bird species of extreme rarity.
Biological Conservation 118:365-375.
29 VanderWerf, E. A., R. J. Pierce, T. L. Tibbitts, J.-M. Salducci, V. Gill, and G. Wragg.
2004. First record of Laughing Gull (Larus atricilla) in French Polynesia. Notornis 51:51-
28 VanderWerf, E.A., and L.A. Freed. 2003. `Elepaio subadult plumages reduce aggression
through graded status signaling, not mimicry. Journal of Field Ornithology 74:406-415.
27 Tibbitts, T.L., R.B. Lanctot, E. VanderWerf, and V.A. Gill. 2003. Survey for Arcticbreeding
shorebirds in the Tuamotu Archipelago, French Polynesia, March 2003.
Unpublished report for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the U.S. Geological Survey,
26 VanderWerf, E. A. 2003. Distribution, abundance, and breeding biology of White Terns
on Oahu, Hawaii. Wilson Bulletin 115:258-262.
25 E.H. Miller, E.A. VanderWerf, and L. McPherson. 2003. Vocalizations of the Tuamotu
Sandpiper, Prosobonia cancellata. Wilson Bulletin 115:455-463.
24 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2003. Draft Revised Recovery Plan for Hawaiian Forest
Birds. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Portland, Oregon. 520 pp. (PDF currently not available)
23 Wood, K. R., D. Boynton, E. VanderWerf, L. Arnold, M. LeGrande, J. W. Slotterback, and
D. Kuhn. 2002. The Distribution and Abundance of the Band-rumped Storm-Petrel
(Oceanodroma castro): A Preliminary Survey on Kaua’i, Hawai’i. Report submitted to the
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Pacific Islands Fish and Wildlife Office.
22 VanderWerf, E.A., and D.G. Smith. 2002. Effects of alien rodent control on demography
of the O`ahu `Elepaio, an endangered Hawaiian forest bird. Pacific Conservation Biology
21 Smith, D.G., J.T. Polhemus, and E.A. VanderWerf. 2002. Comparison of managed and
unmanaged Wedge-tailed Shearwater colonies: effects of predation. Pacific Science
20 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2001. Determination of Critical Habitat for the Oahu
Elepaio; Final Rule. Federal Register 66(237):63752-63782.
19 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2001. Proposed Determination of Critical Habitat for the
Oahu Elepaio; Proposed Rule. Federal Register 66(109):30372-30396. (PDF currently not available)
18 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2001. Recovery outline for the O`ahu `Elepaio. U.S. Fish
and Wildlife Service, Portland, Oregon . 10 pp.
17 VanderWerf, E.A. 2001. Two-year delay in plumage maturation of male and female
`Elepaio. Condor 103:756-766.
16 VanderWerf, E.A. 2001. Rodent control reduces predation on artificial nests in O`ahu
`Elepaio habitat. Journal of Field Ornithology 72:448-457.
15 VanderWerf, E.A., J.L. Rohrer, D.G. Smith, and M.D. Burt. 2001. Current distribution and
abundance of the O`ahu `Elepaio. Wilson Bulletin 113:10-16.
14 VanderWerf, E.A. 2001. Distribution and potential impacts of avian poxlike lesions in
‘Elepaio at Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge. Studies in Avian Biology 22:247-253.
13.5 VanderWerf, E.A, Y. Ebisu and Associates, and Wil Chee-Planning, Inc. 2000.
A study to determine the effects of noise from military training on the endangered Oahu ‘Elepaio. Unpublished report prepared for United States Army Engineer District, Honolulu Programs and Project Management Division, Fort Shafter, Hawaii. (PDF currently not available)
13 Smith, D.G., J.T. Polhemus, and E.A. VanderWerf. 2000. Efficacy of fish-flavored
diphacinone bait blocks for controlling small Indian mongoose (Herpestes
auropunctatus) populations in Hawai`i. `Elepaio 60:47-51. (PDF currently not available)
12 Lindsey, G.D., E.A. VanderWerf, H. Baker, and P.E. Baker. 1998. Hawai’i ‘Amakihi
(Hemignathus virens), Kaua’i ‘Amakihi (Hemignathus kauaiensis), O’ahu ‘Amakihi
(Hemignathus chloris), Greater ‘Amakihi (Hemignathus sagittirostris). In The Birds of
North America (A. Poole and F. Gill, eds.). The Academy of Natural Sciences,
Philadelphia, PA, and the American Ornithologists’ Union, Washington, D.C. (PDF currently not available)
11 VanderWerf, E.A. 1998. Breeding biology and territoriality of the Hawaii Creeper. Condor
10 VanderWerf, E.A. 1998. ‘Elepaio (Chasiempis sandwichensis). In The Birds of North
America, No. 344 (A. Poole and F. Gill, eds.). The Academy of Natural Sciences,
Philadelphia, PA, and the American Ornithologists’ Union, Washington, D.C. (PDF currently not available)
9 VanderWerf, E.A. 1997. O`ahu `Amakihi nest in Manoa Valley. ‘Elepaio 57(7):125-126. (PDF currently not available)
8 VanderWerf, E.A., A. Cowell, and J.L. Rohrer. 1997. Distribution, abundance, and
conservation of O`ahu `Elepaio in the southern, leeward Ko'olau Range. `Elepaio
7 VanderWerf, E.A., and J. L. Rohrer. 1996. Discovery of an 'I'iwi population in the Ko`olau
Mountains of O`ahu. `Elepaio 56(4):25-28. (PDF currently not available)
6 VanderWerf, E.A. 1994. Intraspecific variation in 'Elepaio foraging behavior in Hawaiian
forests of different structure. Auk 111:915-930.
5 VanderWerf, E.A. 1993. Report from a 3-day hike on the Ko'olau summit trail. 'Elepaio
53(12):79-80. (PDF currently not available)
4 VanderWerf, E.A. 1993. Scales of habitat selection by foraging 'Elepaio in undisturbed and
human-altered Hawaiian forests. Condor 95:961-971.
3 VanderWerf, E.A. 1992. Lack's clutch size hypothesis: an examination of the evidence
using meta-analysis. Ecology 73:1699-1705.
2 VanderWerf, E.A., and S.D. Strahl. 1990. Effects of group size and territory defense on
communal nest care in the Hoatzin (Opisthocomus hoazin). Auk 107:626-628.
1 VanderWerf, E.A. 1988. Observations on the nesting of the Great Potoo (Nyctibius
grandis) in central Venezuela. Condor 90:948-50.